Everybody Dance NOW!

I walked through Whiteclay Nebraska yesterday looking for an A&W Root Beer. (no one carries it, in case you were wondering) Anyway I saw a familiar sight which today stuck with me. Beneath a sign that says A's Auto parts, a group of homeless folks dance to any number of Bob Marley songs that are currently being played. Today the song was "Three little birds". "Don't worry about a thing because every little thing will be alright" blasts from from speakers into the streets of whiteclay and the people were dancing. There was more joy in whiteclay today then usual and the dancing was even more expressive. I wondered to myself if I would ever dance in the streets, if my soul could be stirred to shed my minds inhibitions. Then I started to think back of a concert I recently attended at 555 just steps away from where these folks were dancing. A band called Broken Walls was playing there unique style of worship. As the band played a song about dancing, there was only one man who was. His name is Patrick and tonight he put words into actions, whether it be the alcohol, or his personality, or his unabashed joy for the creator. I couldn't help but wonder what God thinks of a crowd of people sitting in chairs singing about dancing. C.S. Lewis says that "All scriptural images of heaven, are symbolic attempts to describe the indescribable, musical instruments are the thing in this present life which most strongly suggests ecstasy and infinity." No matter what the reason for the dancing that day in Whiteclay, (or during the concert) I wonder if somehow they understand something about heaven that I don't. That they feel God in a way I haven't yet.

No comments: