Plans?

Last week I told Youthworks that  Lizzie and I would be staying in Minnesota for the time being. I felt good about the decision, I had a sense of being certain that God is leading us even though I'm uncertain of his will in it all. Soon after telling Youthworks we would be staying we got a call from our good friends in Pine Ridge with news of a house for rent in Whiteclay Nebraska, just a few miles from them. This led me to contemplate if we made the right decision.
 At our last family meeting my friend Lea asked me "what does this thinking say about who you believe God is?" This question was really interesting. I had never really thought along these lines. As I started think about it, I came to a realization that I am looking to please God with this decision. Like in some way God wants us to be in one place over the other, and that we need to somehow figure out where he wants us, and if we don't we would be running from where God wants us.
I don't want to believe that way. I don't believe God is concerned with every little decision we make. I believe he ultimately knows what we will end up doing, but does he have a preference? Jonah was called by God to Ninevah. What if Jonah thought the voice he heard was just in his head, and didn't go. Would he still have been eaten by a whale? That is where I am with all of this. Lots of things come up and remind me of Pine Ridge, and I have a desire to go back, and sometimes I can convince myself that when I see "Sundance firewood" for sale that God is reminding me of Pine Ridge. If God is calling us to Pine Ridge, I need him to speak a little louder. Even if he doesn't I'm still reminded of this verse: "In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps".  Lizzie and I are not big planners. As of today we are planning to stay in Minnesota. Who knows what tommorow will look like. God is good.

No comments: